12/21/10

Espresso NYC #1

D'Espresso

First thing I found out is that it's hard to find, specially if you look for it with Google Maps. The place is really small and has no sign outside, so it makes it harder to locate from far away, but after a few directions from random people I got to the place. I keep thinking that since is an espresso bar in NYC, I'm gonna enter and be greeted by Italians (not only that but the name sounds Italian), so from now on I'll keep my mind open.
Instead I see two teenage boys serving drinks fast, but that I don't really mind, instead, I'm amazed about how small the place is! In images you find in -once again, my super tool- Google the place looks huge. (I'll provide a link to the designers of the place below)


I order a double espresso, which is $2.73 and I sat for 10 seconds to wait. I ordered the drink to stay, and they gave it to me in a paper cup! (although they offered to make me another one) I said no and went back to my table and sip. The flavor was a bit dry, the aroma great and it was freaking hot! I feel strange describing espresso since I'm no professional, but I'll try my best. I tasted a little like chocolate, with a very slight note of vanilla, but had no body, very light...


The design of the shop is what makes it a "different experience," although spending $500,000 to make it look like a library turned on its side has no effect on the quality of the coffee. I liked the overall look, the furniture is great but the space lacks mobility. I would much have preferred for it to have only a small counter on one side to place your cup and more space in between that and the bar. 
 

Here's a link to D'Espresso website: despresso.com
and a link to the firm who designed the space: nemaworkshop.com

By the way, the environmental and graphic design is great!