1/15/11

ESPRESSO NYC #5

EVERYMAN ESPRESSO


You wouldn't expect for a coffee place to be housed in the lobby of a theatre, but this one is, which is not a radical idea, in fact is kind of fun! Nevertheless, when is a bad looking lobby then it turns weird. 


What was funny is that the minute I walked in the barista was singing "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey as the music played in the back. Bad choice, and it kept getting worse, I mean music and coffee!
I ordered a $2.50 espresso, the guy behind the counter, with his British struggling accent took my money and told me to wait. After about 3 minutes of a bad song and while observing the barista making my espresso, I noticed something I had read in an espresso article by William Grimes in The New York Times (article here). He interviews Pepi di Giacomo about the things you have to have for a good espresso: ''The stream of espresso coming out of the machine should look like a mouse tail'' di Giacomo mentioned. Unfortunately, I saw nothing but dripping mud. From that moment I knew it was set to be a disaster.
The barista, with a chantey voice announced my espresso. I took it to my dirty table and, not so excited, was prepared to sip. 


The flavor, if any, was dry and bitter, no fruit tones, as if the coffee was burned. Maybe it was too much pressure, or tap water, but was no good. The color of the shot was dark, with a heavy body, but no flavor.


As for the look of the place, it seems like they need a little attention to detail. I keep seeing the same tendency of writing products and prices on glass or windows, which in some cases looks great, but here it looks a bit too much, although Local Milk always comes in handy.



 

Everyman Espresso website: everymanespresso.com