2/12/11

VIA QUADRONNO


This Italian restaurant was rated as one of those that offered a good espresso, and I was curious about restaurants with espresso machines, so I decided to give it a try. The place is really cozy, low lights, good atmosphere and great furniture. I ordered my espresso to stay (later I realized it was more expensive to stay than to go) and waited in one of the side tables. Three waiters behind the counted worked fast and non-stop. One of them was wearing a cool t-shirt with the restaurant's logo printed on it large size, I thought it was a nice touch since places like Starbucks won't print their logo as large as possible on employees outfit; well this time it was done right.


Via Quadronno has a Schaerer Matic SM-3 espresso machine and uses Antica Tostatura Triestina blend for the espresso.
I got the shot after waiting about 2 minutes. The espresso had no body, which I notice when I swirl the cup before taking the first sip. I do this every time, and it helps me figure out the consistency. I do not judge flavor from this test, but it tells me a lot. The shot was somewhat dry, no body at all, just burned coffee. Although I could get some notes of nutty vanilla, it was hard to tell, no flavor was left behind. I was disappointed about the outcome, given the great reviews I had read about it. 
When it was time to pay...$6...I wasn't disappointed anymore, I was upset! Maybe there's more to try there than the espresso, but for now, I know I'm not going back.


Via Quadronno website: http://viaquadronno.com/