1/2/11

Espresso NYC#4

Abraço


The Portuguese word for embrace, this little espresso bar is warm and welcoming. I found the place thanks to once again, Oliver Schwaner-Albright from the New York Times and his list of five great places for espresso: http://topics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/18/new-yorks-best-espresso/

The shop has a distinctive neon sign that radiates to the outside subtly, and embraces the inside with electric red. The three people behind the counter seemed to know every single person that walked through the glass door, so I confidently ordered a $3 double and got it in less than a minute (I visited on late in the day so it was not as packed as I've heard it gets).



The shot had a great body, the first sip tasted like banana and tobacco, then it built into a leathery musty flavor, to finish with a slight note of sandalwood. I was impressed on how many layers of flavor the little shot had. It was one of those exotic experiences you have with food or drinks that you will remember for a long time. The shot was as fresh as it could be, as well as the place. I said a million thanks and left with a smile on my face. 



If you visit, note the great way they display prices around the store, seems like every coffee place competes for the most creative, attractive way to do it. Although one of the most creative ones I've seen is in the amazing town of Marfa, TX at the laundromat-slash-coffeshop named Frama.

Here's Abraço website: abraconyc.com
Find out more about Marfa's FRAMA here: FRAMA on Yelp