2/21/11

Ella Cafe - Williamsburg, Brooklyn


Great for a Saturday or Sunday evening, this cafe has many things to offer. Great atmosphere, plenty of space to sit and enjoy food or coffee and of course, a decent espresso. Down Bedford Ave, a few steps off the Bedford stop on the L, is Ella Cafe. The first thing you will notice is the good selection of music, quite eccentric and good, something between Lykke Li and Punk Rock. Playlist included: The Knife - Heartbeats and Lykke Li - Little Bit.




I asked the two cute girls behind the counter for a double at $2.50. On the counter, a FAEMA E61 (3 groups) and on the cup Dallis Bros coffee, the New York Espresso Blend. I got my espresso fast and sat at the great concrete slab tables they have at the front of the shop, which made me feel like my middle school years, eating on the recess on concrete benches and tables.



The espresso had a good body, great color and smell, sort of a cinnamon aroma. I sipped and got some notes of heavy chocolate flavor and mild vanilla. I gotta say it was a bit dry, but good flavor overall.


The place has a great view outside of walking their dogs or their partners, and a nice lemon smell on the inside, good design on the interiors, a wooden bench that runs all the way to the back and good lighting on the evening + a great big space on the back, with big tables, good for a quick lunch. I must say the soup must be really good, I smelled one on my way to the back.




Ella Cafe Website
Map:


View Larger Map