2/12/11

VERB - WILLIAMSBURG


Walking around Williamsburg on a Sunday night a few weeks ago, I discovered this little place. Adjacent to a little market, this place is cozy and feels like the neighborhood place to be, at least for an outsider like me. (I'm thinking of moving to this area, so if anybody knows of someone needing a roommate, I'm the one!)


The dark little shop has a huge window facing Bedford Avenue, taking in the perfect amount of light to still keep the back discrete, which has a risen area with tables. I ordered a $2.50 double, and walked to the side of the counter to see the barista make my drink. He was quick and sharp, and I overhead he was an espresso artist! After a couple of minutes of watching him work drinks, he got to my espresso. He was doing everything right: Cleaning the basket and preheating the cup, and I saw that little mouse tail coming from the machine! I was excited to try it!




The espresso had a nice body, good color, and a heavy chocolate smell. I had the first sip, heavy oily sweet tobacco flavor and a subtle liqueur note. The last sip was like fresh dark chocolate with almond. No doubt, a very good drink!
The espresso machine in the counter is a not-so-new La Marzocco GB with 3 slots, and they brew a good Porto Rico coffee blend.



Verb Cafe interesting website: http://www.verbcafe.com/